Patient Data Management (PDM)
A New Paradigm for Managing Electronic Patient Data
A PDM architecture immunizes clinical users from ongoing changes to back office systems. All data is updated through a single user interface with the applications (PM, EMR, imaging, etc.) on the back end when they are available, otherwise data is automatically synchronized when connectivity is restored.
A PDM environment provides:
- A single user interface to all patient data - no retraining.
- Ability to work with patient data, even if back-office systems are temporarily unavailable.
- Identity and role-based access controls, the same technology proven by the Department of Defense for the past three decades, allowing patient data to be shared appropriately without sacrificing privacy.
The Need for Change
A focus in today's healthcare market is, managing and securely sharing patient information.
- There are hundreds of installed information systems that manage patient information.
- Government mandates are forcing all healthcare systems to provide standard interoperability features in support of data portability and ultimately connecting to the Nationwide Health Information Network (NHIN) as it becomes available.
- IT staffs are working with solution vendors to provide meaningful use.
- As systems are upgraded or replaced, retraining is often required for clinicians and other healthcare provider users.
The typical strategy employed by EMR / PM vendors is to recommend that hospitals consolidate all their systems. These products are then positioned as the best-of-breed solution for all of the hospital's information system needs.
This plan has the appeal of a single point of interface, however the reality is that no single application suite will address all needs of a healthcare institution, nor will a single software vendor be able to keep pace with all of the ever changing requirements and technologies necessary to provide best-of-breed solutions. Hospitals will continue to have multiple clinical systems and those systems will continue to evolve and change over time.
A Patient Data Management solution solves these problems… Resonate's PDM solution adds secure mobile access now.